The important steps taken for protecting migratory birds are given below:
- Rare and endangered species of birds, including migratory birds, are included in Schedule-I of the Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972 thereby according them highest degree of protection.
- Stringent punishments have been provided for in the Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972 for violation of the provisions of the Act.
- Important habitats of birds, including migratory birds, have been notified as Protected Areas under the Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972 for better conservation and protection of birds and their habitats.
- Financial and technical assistance is provided to the State/UT Governments for protection and management of Protected Areas.
- Wildlife Crime Control Bureau has been established for control of illegal trade in wildlife and its parts and products.